Sunday, November 25, 2012
The downstairs bartender at Main Street Grille has personality to share. Melisa Venditti's infectious laugh and witty outlook on life will bring a smile to your face.
Editor's note: This story was originally published in November 2011 and is being refeatured on North Canton Patch today in light of Small Business Saturday this weekend. Main Street Grille's downstairs bartender Melissa Venditti shares her philosophy on listening, laughing and serving drinks in the basement of the North Canton restaurant.
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Get out of the house and into some fun activities this weekend. We've got stuff for party animals, families and history buffs
1. WISHES CAN HAPPEN WISH-A-THON Where/When: Thursday's Plaza, 4705 Dressler Road NW, Canton; 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday and Saturday Why Go: Help local kids' dreams come true! Wishes Can Happen is a North Canton-based charity that grants wishes to terminally ill children, and they're asking for you to stop by and donate this weekend. Find more info here in our community calendar. Pricing: Donations 2. MASSMU FUN FEST Where/When: Massillon Museum, 121 Lincoln Way E; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday Why Go: According to the museum's website, the event features games, trucks, contests, a movie, safety and health information, arts and crafts. Sounds like a great time for the kids! Pricing: Free, but small fee for some activities 3. LADIES' NIGHT DANCE PARTY…
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Check out the Hitmen of North Canton as they appear for the first time at Rafters in Canton, or watch a fashion show at the Barrel Room this weekend. And still there's more!
1. THE HITMEN AT RAFTERS IN CANTON Where/When: Rafters at Meadowlake Golf Course, 1211 39th St. NE, Canton; 8:30 p.m. Saturday Why Go: C'mon, it's the Hitmen of North Canton. That means you're going to hear the Ramones, Queen and lots of other stuff you know and love. And it's their first time at Rafters. Help them pack the house! Pricing: No cover 2. BIOBLITZ AT HOOVER PARK CONNECTOR TRAIL Where/When: Hoover Park Connector Trail, East Maple Street, North Canton; Anytime Friday Why Go: Help Let's Care North Canton document all the species along the Hoover Park Connector trail while getting a little exercise and fresh air. Pricing: Free 3. BIG MIKE'S ANNUAL BIKE RUN Where/When: Greensburg Park, 4899 Massillon Road, Green; 10 a.m.-5 p.m…
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Our 'Get Out' weekend planner has live music, local nightlife attractions and a must-see kids event this weekend
1. 98.1 WKDD KIDZ DAY 2011 Where/When: Boettler Park in Green, 5300 Massillon Road; 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday Why Go: Meet the Columbus Blue Jackets, ride in an astronaut simulator and meet Matthew Underwood from Nickelodeon's Zoe 101. Pricing: Pre-sale tickets are $3 for everyone, but kids 3 and younger get in free. Tickets are $5 at the door. Find ticket locations at this Kidz Day page. 2. JOHN GALL AT THE BARREL ROOM Where/When: The Barrel Room Wine & Beer Bar; 9 p.m.-midnight Friday Why Go: The folks at the Barrel Room say Gall is a crowd favorite. And why would they lie? Check out the classic rock singer and sip an ale on the patio. Perfect Friday night. Pricing: No cover 3. BETHESDA PERFORMS AT THE AURICLE Where/When: The Auricle Live …
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Attend an outdoor movie tonight in Cuyahoga Falls, help a 6-year-old boy's dream come true this weekend, and get some grilled bananas over ice cream at the Massillon Museum's island party. It's all in our Get Out Weekend Planner.
1. COMMUNITY FUN DAY AND POKER RUN Where/When: Community Fun Day at the Marriott, 4375 Metro Circle, North Canton, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday; Poker run at Quaker Steak & Lube, first bike leaves at 9 a.m. and last bike leaves at 9:30 a.m. Sunday Why Go: The HOF Law Dogs LE/MC and F.O.P. and Blue Knights will host these events to raise money for Wishes Can Happen recipient Patrick Wright, a local 6-year-old suffering from throat cancer. Patrick’s biggest wish is to go to Disney World. (We have some more info in our PDFs section, just note the actual date is July 17, not June.) Pricing: Donations accepted 2. DANCE NIGHT AT THE AURICLE IN CANTON Where/When: The Auricle, 601 Cleveland Ave NW, Canton; 10 p.m. Friday-2:30 a.m. Saturday Why Go: The …
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Our favorite hitmen (the Hitmen of North Canton) will be at Puckers Friday night, the farmers market once again takes place this weekend and lots more
1. MUSEUM OPEN HOUSE IN GREENTOWN Where/When: Lake Township Historical Society and Museum, 3300 Myers St., Greentown; 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday Why Go: Check out the new display, "The Civil War — A Look at Fashion, Art and Everyday Living" — and watch a Civil War encampment both days. (Interested? There's more information, including details about a home and garden tour —1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sunday — in our PDFs section.) Pricing: Free 2. THE HITMEN OF NORTH CANTON AT PUCKERS Where/When: Puckers Sports Pub & Grille; 8:30 p.m. Friday Why Go: Not only will you hear great hits, but there's a contest involved. The Hitmen are asking their fans to take cellphone videos of any of their songs from Friday night and post them to the band's Facebook …
Thursday, June 23, 2011
We've cooked up a weekend planner with fun stuff from Friday through Sunday
1. SUNDAY IN THE CITY Where/When: The square in North Canton; 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday Why Go: Meet Caroline Arnold and Margie Kinsley, as well as other artists from around the Patch. And your favorite youth blues band, the Brighter Side Band, also will play from 1:30-3:30. Pricing: Free 2. RYAN HUMBERT BAND AT THE BARREL ROOM Where/When: The Barrel Room Wine & Beer Bar; 9 p.m.-midnight Friday Why Go: It’s Ryan Humbert and Emily Bates’ first show in Northeast Ohio after a month away, so come in, grab a beer or a glass of wine and give these musicians a big welcome home. Pricing: Free 3. 7TH STREET BAND AT PUCKERS Where/When:Puckers Sports Pub & Grille; 9 p.m.-midnight Saturday Why Go: Looking for a fun time out without going too far this …
Thursday, June 16, 2011
It's a great weekend for live music at the Auricle in Canton and Sadie Rene's in North Canton. Not into that? What about a farmers market or meeting Kent State University Golden Flashes coaches?
1. LITTLE ART GALLERY OPENING — BEV STAFFORD AND SARAH WINTHER SHUMAKER Where/When: The Little Art Gallery; 2 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturday Why Go: This is the opening reception for a gallery that will run through July 16. Check out the flier in the photos section of this update for a better idea of what to expect! Pricing: Free 2. DOVER BALLROOM BENEFIT SHOW AT THE AURICLE Where/When: The Auricle, 601 Cleveland Ave. NW, Canton; 7 p.m.-10 p.m. Friday Why Go: There's a little music venue in Dover, OH, called the Dover Ballroom that needs some new sound equipment, so a bunch of friends got together and are throwing this benefit show at the Auricle in Canton. BRsq also will benefit. Watch some local bands (State Bird, Eddie and the Shadows, and …
Thursday, May 19, 2011
Ever seen this Jimmy Buffett band play? Or seen the Westfield Belden Village Mall invaded by kitties? How about said goodbye to a well-known principal at an ice cream social?
1. "KITTIES GALORE" AT WESTFIELD BELDEN VILLAGE MALL Where/When: The center court of Westfield Belden Village Mall, 4230 Belden Village Mall, Canton; 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday Why Go: We’re not talking one kitty. Not two kitties. We're talking kitties galore. And in the mall of all places. Help the Stark County Humane Society adopt out some kitties into “forever” homes. Pricing: Free 2. NORTH CANTON LIONS CLUB PANCAKE BREAKFAST Where/When: Northminster Presbyterian Church; 8-11 a.m. Saturday Why Go: Had a long week? Perhaps free pancakes on a Saturday morning will make it better? Pricing: Free will offering 3. GYPSIES IN THE PALACE PLAYS AT LEGENDS IN GREEN Where/When: Legends Sports Pub & Grille, 1840 Town Park Boulevard, Uniontown; 9 p.m. …
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
We found you a North Canton resident who plays a mean trumpet in two local bands, has performed in just as many Rose Bowls as Archie Griffin (in the Ohio State marching band) and has a solid weekend lined up with shows
Skip Scherer is about to have a busy weekend, with a big show at Legends Sports Pub & Grille Friday and another at Puckers Sports Pub & Grille Saturday. We thought we'd get this trumpeter to talk to us about what got him started in music and what he loves about singing to "parrot heads" (Jimmy Buffett followers) one day and being a member of the Hitmen the next. North Canton Patch: Tell me about the Hitmen of North Canton. Scherer: The Hitmen (Kent Ramsey, John Arnold, Todd Johnson, Skip Scherer and Jerry Patton) started 10 years ago and are actually made up of five people from North Canton. Our niche is classic rock and big hits. We're starting to kind of branch out from just classics of '70s and '80s to try newer stuff. We are the "hit" …