The North Canton City School District Board of Education will meet at 6 p.m. today in the Media Center.
Here's a rundown of what to expect tonight:
- This will be Superintendent Michael Gallina's final school board meeting as he prepares for retirement and a new position at AultCare Health Network. Gallina's final day with North Canton City Schools is June 30. about his new role and leaving the district.
- Ben Wheeler, executive director of the North Canton YMCA, is expected to introduce himself during the public speaks portion of the meeting. Wheeler took the position in Februrary of this year after the retirement of Paul Beinlich. You can learn more about Wheeler in .
- The Board will look at approving the Transition U agreement between North Canton City Schools and Walsh University. Transition U is a program designed for cognitive/multiple disabled students, ages 18-22, who have completed social graduation with the North Canton City Schools. The program allows participants to have a real college experience with their same-age peers, from matriculation to a college I.D.
- The Board will look at approving contracts with five service providers working with special needs students. Last month, Board member Chris Thomas made a motion to table two of the five agenda items — an agreement between the district and EJ Therapy Services and an agreement with Theresa Kinkead, a certified occupational therapy assistant. Thomas said he wasn't sure why the district continues to work with the two instead of seeking assistance through the Stark County Educational Service Center.
- The Board will convene in executive session to discuss the appointment, employment, dismissal, discipline, promotion, demotion or compensation of a public employee, with no action to be taken.
Interested in what else is happening at the meeting tonight? You can see the full agenda in the PDFs section of this update.