The library invites the community to learn how they can “explore the world” in 2013.
The North Canton Public Library celebrates 85 years of service to the community, and announces that it will launch a new brand identity, symbolized by a new logo, on March 23 of this year. It was 85 years ago, on January 27, 1928, when W.H. “Boss” Hoover built a community building and designated one room as a library. That first year, the library had a collection of 1,000 books and served 993 citizens of North Canton.
In 85 years, library service has changed significantly. The library’s circulation that first year was 12,911. In 2012, the library circulated 964,253 items. The new logo will communicate all that the library is today.
The library is a place of exploration, and 2013 will reflect that idea through our new tagline: “Explore the World.” Each month (April-December), all areas of the library will collaborate to “explore the world” of a common theme. We’ll begin with cooking in April, end with arts and crafts in December, and explore chocolate, history, animals, community and more in the months between.
As part of our brand evolution, our new tagline has opened the door to some exciting programming, display and partnership opportunities. At the March 23 launch party, guests will receive a “guidebook” that will encourage them to remain involved with the library throughout the year. Two different “guidebooks” will be offered, one for children and one for adults and teens. The goal is for patrons to complete a task or activity each month in order to receive that month’s stamp in their book, validating special incentives inside. The “guidebooks” will feature incentives from the following local organizations and businesses (exploration partners): Ermanno’s Pizza, North Canton YMCA, Canton Palace Theatre, MAPS Air Museum, Hometown Chocolates, the Akron Zoo and the Foundation for Community Betterment.
With a nod to W.H. “Boss” Hoover’s philanthropic spirit, one of the “guidebook” tasks patrons can choose to complete each month is bringing an in-kind donation for a local charity to the library. Each month, a wish list from a local organization will be posted, and items will be collected. The library averages at least 20,000 people through our doors each month, allowing us to publicize the good work of other organizations in Stark County, and serve as a central location for donation collection. We see these partnerships as an opportunity for library patrons, staff and the community to join together to address a variety of needs in our county.
March 23, 2013 is the day that the library’s new logo and tagline will be revealed to the community. The celebration will begin at 10:00 a.m. and last until 5:00 p.m.
So what will happen at the logo launch party?
1. The Friends of the Library will give behind the scenes tours of the library every 30 minutes beginning at 10:00 a.m., with the last tour beginning at 3:30 p.m.
2. There will an ongoing pizza party for all who complete the tour.
3. We will announce our “Explore the World” programming for the year.
4. We will distribute our “Explore the World” guidebooks to patrons.
5. Our “Exploration Partners” will be on-site to share information about their role in our programming for 2013. We will feature a different incentive (give-a-way) from a different local organization/business (aka exploration partner) each month beginning in April.
6. The new logo will be visible throughout the library. Patrons will also notice the installation of new signage to help with wayfinding throughout the library.