YMCA Closes Saturday After Towels Catch Fire in Dryer
North Canton firefighters responded to the fire about 7:37 a.m. Saturday
The North Canton YMCA will be closed Saturday after firefighters extinguished a small, morning fire.
The North Canton Fire Department was dispatched at 7:37 a.m. for a fire alarm and a report of fire in a dryer, according to a news release from the department. The smoke detector alerted the building's occupants and triggered the fire alarm.
By the time responders arrived, the building had been evacuated and no one was harmed.
First-in crews opened the laundry room door and extinguished burning towels in the dryer. The northwest section of the building had a large amount of smoke in it and firefighters had to ventilate the building.
Only fire damage was to the laundry room and dryer, and no damage estimate was determined.
The first unit arrived at the Y at 7:43 a.m. and the fire department responded with two engines, one ladder and one medic with 17 personnel. All units were back in service at 10:06 a.m.