Firefighters Rescue Resident From Third-Floor Apartment During Blaze
No residents were injured in the weekend fire, but one firefighter was taken to a hospital
North Canton firefighters rescued a resident from a third-floor apartment in Heritage Manor Apartments Saturday.
Fire officials say a fire started in the resident's bedroom at the south side of the apartment at 1885 Beechwood Ave. NE before 3:40 p.m. that day.
Crews arrived and had the fire under control within 20 minutes.
Firefighters used a ground ladder to rescue the resident from a balcony and help the person down the ladder.
One firefighter suffered a laceration to his hand and was taken to a hospital for treatment. Fire officials had no report of the firefighter's condition this past weekend.
Damage to the 12-unit structure is estimated at $100,000 and $20,000 to contents. Every unit sustained smoke damage.
The North Canton Fire Prevention Bureau investigated the fire and ruled it accidental. An extension cord overheated and caused the outlet to arc.
Jackson Township and Greentown fire departments assisted with the fire.
The Red Cross also was on scene to help the occupants displaced by the fire.